Wednesday, February 15, 2023

What Should I Choose?

      Picking the genre for my film opening was kinda hard. There are so many genres and subgenres that make it difficult for all filmmakers just to choose one. While I was doing my research about what genre I should do my film opening, I came across a mystery and show that many of the shows and movies that I have enjoyed watching throughout the years had been of this genre. I also found out that there are different types of mystery genres like mystery thriller movies. I couldn't come to a decision on whether I wanted to just do a mystery movie or add a thriller to it. 

    I came to the conclusion that the best thing to do was to do a mystery thriller film opening to add more suspense for the audience. While researching the genre I found that Mystery movies usually follow crimes followed from the moment it is committed until it is solved. This is due to the fact that writers want to make their audience into a detective seeking to establish the who, what, when, and how of a specific crime. I really want to emphasize these elements so that from the very beginning of the film the audience can be wondering who might have done the crime. The best mystery films take advantage of our natural need to seek explanations, which is one of its greatest strengths. Although it can be frustrating to not be able to predict what will happen next, audiences enjoy it when a mystery thriller makes absolutely no sense. Better yet, if the mystery film has you on the edge of your seat right up to the very end. According to Paulina Jayne Isaac, "Trying to differentiate the bad from the good, guessing who’s lying or telling the truth, and attempting to solve a true crime thriller are all mental puzzles that are endlessly frustrating yet completely entertaining."

Some of the greatest Mystery Thriller films were: Knives Out (2019), Gone Girl (2014), and Murder on the Orient Express (2017). These are a few examples of movies I will study closely to really understand what makes mystery thriller movies so great to make sure my film opening has all those key details. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Review

Thank you so much for following me on this journey! My CCR is linked below. Creative Critical Review 1:  CCR1 Creative Critical Review2:  CCR2